Started as a lockdown fad, Dalgona coffee has now evolved itself as an international food trend that has taken the world by a storm. This delightful cloud-like beverage is known and loved for its whipped velvety texture and the minimal efforts required to make this foamy bittersweet treat. Drawing inspiration from this social media sensation we have curated a list of equally interesting and unique Dalgona innovations that you can master and jazz up your Instagram feed with.
1. Chai Spiced Dalgona Coffee
- 4 Tablespoons Instant Coffee
- 4 Tablespoons Sugar
- 4 Tablespoons hot water
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Ginger Powder
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 150 ml Skimmed Milk
- In a large bowl add the coffee, sugar and hot water and whisk the mixture using an electric whisk for approximately three minutes., or until the mixture forms stiff peaks. Keep aside
- In a jug add the milk, Cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, and black pepper, mix together and microwave the milk for two minutes.
- Remove the milk from the microwave and stir once again.
- Pour the hot milk into two coffee cups and spoon over the hot milk the coffee cream that was prepared earlier
- Sprinkle with a pinch of cinnamon
2. Nutella Dalgona
- 2 tbsp powdered milk
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp Nutella
- 2 tbsp hot water
- 1 glass of milk
- A handful of crushed nuts- optional
- Smear your serving glass with a generous dollop of Nutella to add an extra hazelnutty flavor.
- In a large bowl add the milk powder, sugar, and hot water. Whisk rapidly and mix well
- Slowly add Nutella to the milk mixture and mix well until combined completely. Pour into the Nutella smeared glass and enjoy!
3. Dalgona Boba Cofee
- 1/2 cup tapioca pearls
- 1 tablespoon sugar syrup or honey
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup milk
- Bring a saucepan with water to boil. Drop in the tapioca pearls and cook for 5-10 minutes. Use a slotted spoon and transfer to a bowl with cold water to stop the cooking. Drain and stir in the syrup to sweeten the tapioca pearls. Let it sit while you make the coffee.
- Combine the instant coffee, granulate sugar and boiling water in a bowl. Using a whisk or hand mixer, whisk the mixture until frothy and thick, and the consistency of whipped cream.
- Assemble the drink by spooning the boba into a tall glass. Add some ice, pour in the milk, and top with the whipped coffee. Enjoy!
4. Dalgona Bandung
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2½ tablespoon rose syrup
- Ice cubes
- Pour cold heavy cream into a chilled bowl and whisk at low speed for one minute.
- Gradually increase the speed to medium-high as the cream thickens and continue to whisk for around five minutes.
- Add the rose syrup into the whipped cream and whisk again. Stop once the mixture has turned into a lighter shade of pink and looks very airy.
- Fill up the glass with ice and milk and spoon the rose-flavored whipped cream on top.
5. Dalgona Matcha Latte
- 1 egg white or 2 tbsp aquafaba (aka chickpea liquid)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp matcha Green tea
- 1 cup milk
- Whip the egg white (or aquafaba) until it is frothy and mostly stiff with a whisk. Add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks form and it sticks to your whisk.
- Sift in the matcha powder. Whisk it in until incorporated.
- Add the milk to a cup. Top with the whipped matcha and enjoy.
Q1: How to make sugar syrup at home?
A: Stir granulated sugar into hot water in a saucepan until it dissolves completely, and the solution becomes thicker. Let it cool and use as desired.
Q2: How to make rose syrup at home?
A: Place some water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil, stirring occasionally so that the sugar dissolves. Once the sugar dissolves, reduce the heat to a simmer. Stir in the rose petals and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and let it steep for 10 more minutes. Strain the syrup through a fine sieve into a glass jar and let cool. Store in the fridge for up to a month.
Q3: Can you use non-dairy milk?
A: Yes, almond, coconut, soy, or whatever you like.