There’s something about comfort food that instantly lifts our spirits. A bad day, a broken heart or just a boring Wednesday, there’s not much in the world that a lip-smacking meal can’t fix. Even during these uncertain times, when the pandemic has shuttered cities around the world and forced millions indoors, we can thankfully still find solace in some easy to prepare comfort food in our homes. So, sit back and enjoy this curation of hearty comfort food recipes that are must-haves when hanging out with family on a hot summer day.
1. Easy Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 large or 2 medium tomatoes
- 1 tsp. salt
- 8 slices of any bread
- 12 slices of cheese
- 6 tbsp. butter, softened
- Thinly slice the tomatoes and lay them on a paper towel. Sprinkle with salt and let sit to release any water. Pat dry.
- Lay out 4 slices of the bread on a work surface. Layer each with 2 slices of cheese, making sure that they cover to the edges.
- Follow with 2 slices of tomato and then 1 more slice of cheese. Close the sandwiches with the remaining bread. Thinly and evenly spread the butter on both sides of the bread using about 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter for each sandwich.
- Place 2 sandwiches into a non-stick pan over medium heat. Cover the pan with a lid and cook until the bread is evenly golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Flip, cover again and cook until the bread is golden brown and the cheese is visibly melted, about 2 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining sandwiches.
2. Classic Pasta Salad
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup Pasta
- 4 tsp mayonnaise
- ½ tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ onion, sliced
- ½ carrot-chopped
- ¼ capsicum- chopped
- 2 medium to large tomatoes- chopped
- 2 tbsp spring onion- chopped (optional)
- 1 tsp fresh coriander leaves-chopped
- In a large saucepan boil 4 cups of water along with 1 tsp oil and ¾ tsp salt.
- Once the water comes to a boil, add 1 cup pasta. Boil for 8 minutes or till it turns al dente.
- Drain off the pasta and pour a cup of cold water to stop the cooking process. Keep aside.
- Now in a large bowl take 4 tsp mayonnaise. Add ½ tsp pepper, 1 tsp lemon juice and ¼ tsp salt. Mix well and salad dressing is ready.
- Now add chopped onion, carrot, capsicum, tomato and spring onion followed by cooked pasta.
- Mix gently, making sure the dressing is coated well. Cover and keep in the refrigerator for an hour to absorb all the flavors.
- Serve pasta salad garnished with chopped coriander leaves.
3. Tangy Guacamole
- 2 avocados
- 1 small onion- chopped
- 1 clove garlic- minced1
- Q large tomato- chopped
- 1 lime- juiced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and mash avocados in a serving bowl.
- Add onion, garlic, tomato, lime juice, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Season with remaining lime juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Chill for half an hour and serve with toasted bread or chips.
4. Garden Fresh Bread Pizza
- 4 slices bread
- 1 teaspoon oil for greasing the pan
- 2 tablespoon pizza sauce or tomato sauce
- ½ to ¾ cup cheese- grated
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- ¼ to ½ teaspoon red chili flakes
- 1 onion medium-cubed and layers separated
- ½ cup red yellow and green bell peppers-cubed
- 1 small tomato- deseeded and cubed
- 10 olives (optional)
- Grease a pan with 1 tsp oil. Toast the bread lightly on one side. Switch off the heat. Flip them and repeat.
- Remove the bread to a board or tray and smear pizza/tomato sauce thinly. Layer onions, capsicum and tomatoes followed by grated cheese, oregano and chili flakes.
- Place the bread on a pan. Toast on a low to medium heat.
- Cover the pan and toast until the cheese melts.
- Serve bread pizza hot as an evening snack or breakfast.
5. Delectable Chicken Sliders
- 12 store bought buns
- 500 grams chicken-sliced thin (or salami)
- 6 slices of cheese, each cut into 4 pieces
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce/chilli tomato sauce
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 Celsius.
- Slice buns in half. On each bun, place one teaspoon sauce, quarter slice of cheese, 3-4 thin slices of chicken, and another quarter slice of cheese.
- Place top of bun on and then smear very thin layer of butter on top. Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Cook for 15 minutes. Remove and sprinkle sesame seeds on each roll. Serve immediately.
6. Indulgent Banana Split Sundae:
- 1 banana- split lengthwise
- 1 scoop vanilla ice cream
- 1 scoop chocolate ice cream
- 1 scoop strawberry ice cream
- Garnish: chocolate syrup/melted chocolate
- Garnish: chopped nuts (lightly toasted)
- Garnish: whipped cream (optional)
- Place banana slices against sides of a long, narrow, shallow dish.
- Place scoops of ice cream in a row between banana slices.
- Squirt chocolate syrup on vanilla and strawberry ice cream.
- Top each mound with whipped cream and sprinkle with nuts of your choice. Serve and enjoy!
Q1: How to make Bread Pizza in Microwave?
A: After topping the bread put the pan in preheated oven and bake for just 5 to 8 mins at 220 C or until the veggies get grilled partially and the cheese melts and turns golden.
Q2: How to pre-heat my Microwave?
A: You need to place a slatted rack that comes with a microwave to pre-heat it. Now, choose the convection option. Once you set it on the convection mode, your microwave’s digital display will reflect the minimum temperature setting available, you can just increase or decrease it according to your requirement and press start.
Q3: How to easily melt chocolate at home for Banana Split Sundae?
A: Cut a chocolate bar into small pieces. Set chocolate pieces in the bottom of a metal or glass bowl, making sure it's heat-proof. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Bring about an inch of water to a simmer in your saucepan. Set the heatproof bowl in the mouth of the pot, making sure the water doesn't touch the bottom of the bowl. Stir constantly until the chocolate complete melts.