Make the most of the lockdown with turning yourself into a chef. We understand you may be bored with the regular homemade food, so we bring you this recipe from the lands of Rajasthan. Dal Baati Churma is the most popular dish in Rajasthani cuisine. This 3 in 1 delicacy is a treat you would not want to miss.
While in some households, they also make Gatte Ki Sabji, Kadhi to make the platter elaborate, but this classic combination of sweet and savoury is a winner. A platter of sweet Churma with Spicy Dal and Baati along with Ghee.
Let's learn how to make this traditional dish at home:
1. In a pressure cooker put the Dal as per the measurement .
2. Pressure cook for 4 whistles adding 1 tsp ghee and 3 cups water.
3. In a large kadhai, heat 2 tsp ghee and splutter 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp cumin then pinch hing.
4. Add onions followed by 1 tsp ginger garlic paste and 1 green chilli. Saute well.
5. Now add 1 tomato and saute again.
6. Additionally add ¼ tsp turmeric, ½ tsp chilli powder, ¼ tsp garam masala and 1 tsp salt. Saute on low flame.
7. Add the cooked Dal, 1 cup water and give it a good stir.
8. Simmer and boil for 5 minutes till Dal absorbs the masala.
9. Add coriander leaves and mix.
1. Firstly, in a large bowl take 2 cup wheat flour, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp baking powder and ¼ cup ghee.
2. Using your hands, knead a very stiff dough with warm water.
3. Shape the dough in the size of a ping pong ball.
4. Meanwhile, heat a gas tandoor and roast the dough balls on low heat for some time. Make sure they are brown and crusty.
5. Break open from the top and pour some fresh ghee on the halves while serving
1. To prepare this delicious churma recipe, take a large bowl and add wheat flour in it along with Semolina. Mix well and then add 4 tablespoons of ghee in the mixture, and crumble the mixture using your hands. (Note: You can also use jaggery powder instead of sugar for a better taste.)
2. Next, pour milk in batches in the wheat-semolina mixture and knead into a dough. Once the dough is formed, cover with a cotton cloth and keep the dough aside. (Note: If milk is not available, you can also use water to knead the dough.)
3. When the dough is hard enough, place it on a flat surface and divide into small equal parts in balls. Take a ball in your hand and press it lightly between your palms to flatten a bit. Repeat the procedure to make more such flattened balls.
4. Now, put a deep-bottomed pan on medium flame and heat oil in it. When the oil is hot enough, carefully drop churma balls in it in batches and deep fry them.
5. When balls are crispy and golden brown in colour, turn off the burner and transfer them on a paper towel or an absorbent paper to absorb the extra oil. Let these churma balls cool at room temperature for about 10 minutes till you are able to hold them.
6. Break them with hands to form a smooth powder mix
7. Meanwhile, melt the remaining ghee and pour it over churma. Add the powdered sugar in the churma and mix the ingredients well with a spoon. Garnish with dry fruits and serve immediately with dal bati.
In some households, Dal Baati is also relished with Mirchi ki Salan which is made with green chillies. It is easy to make and goes well with the dish.
Try this delicious recipe and stay at home, stay safe!
Q1. Is Dal Baati same as Litti Chokha?
A. Dal Baati is a Rajasthani Dish whereas Litti Chokha is a staple dish of Bihar
Q2. Can I make Baati in the oven if I do not have a tandoor?
A. Oven works as a replacement of Tandoor. One can also use a slow flame to make the Baati
Q3. Can I make the dish without Churma?
A. The dish can be made without Churma. Churma is moreover like a dessert.
Q4. Is Ghee a necessity?
A. The dish cannot be made without Ghee. The real essence of the dish comes from Ghee. However, you can top it as per your liking.
Q5. How can I use the leftovers?
A. Dal can be used in Paranthas or with Rice. The Baati can be eaten by its own with Chutney, pickle or dip, it goes great with tea. The Churma can be consumed as a dessert.
Earn 500 EazyPoints on registration.
We will send you a link, open it on your phone to download the app