There is something about baking that is so therapeutic. The joy of kneading and shaping the dough, and the delicious smell of bread being baked evokes a certain feeling of comfort and cosiness. So, if you are feeling anxious lately with the state of the world right now, we have got the perfect remedy for you.
Given below are a few easy recipes for making homemade bread that will help you take your mind off the lockdown and also serve as a relaxing meditative experience. Follow these easy step by step bread recipes to master the delicate art of baking as there’s nothing better than the smell of freshly baked bread, especially in the morning, with a piping hot cup of your favourite coffee/tea. So, let the baking commence!
1. In a large mixing bowl, add 1 cup of warm milk.
2. Add 2 tbsp sugar and ½ tbsp dry yeast. Mix well.
3. Rest the mixture and allow the yeast to activate.
4. Add 3 cup wheat flour, 1 tsp salt and 2 tbsp oil. mix well.
5. Now, add ½ cup water and knead well.
6. Cover the dough with a cling wrap or moist cloth and rest for 2 hours.
7. After 2 hours, the dough will double in size. knead again to a cylindrical shape.
8. Cover and rest for 30 minutes or till dough rise just an inch above the loaf pan/baking dish.
9. Place the bread loaf pan/dish in preheated oven and bake at 180-degree C for 30 minutes.
10. Serve whole wheat bread or atta bread with jam or make a sandwich.
1. Sieve together flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda. Set this aside.
2. Grease a loaf pan/oven proof tray with butter.
3. Beat the egg and set aside.
3. Preheat the oven to 160 C for at 15 mins.
4. Mash the bananas with the help of a fork or puree them in a blender.
5. Add sugar and vanilla. Mix well until sugar dissolves.
6. Add butter and beaten egg. Mix well.
7. Mix flour in 2 parts with the wet ingredients until there are no lumps.
8. Transfer the batter to the greased pan.
9. Bake for 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
10. Take the baked bread out and let it cool completely .
11. Cut with a bread knife and serve the delicious Banana Bread with a warm glass of milk or tea.
1. In a bowl, heat olive oil and add basil leaves, red chilli powder to it. Stir well and let the basil leaves steep in the warm oil for at least 30 minutes. Set aside.
2. Warm the water in a bowl. Dissolve the sugar in the water. Once dissolved add the active dry yeast and stir well. Allow this mixture to sit at room temperature for 10 to 12 minutes or till the mixture becomes frothy and bubbles up.
3. Add about 2 cups flour, salt and oil in a bowl.
4. Mix with a wooden spoon. Then add the yeast solution and mix again.
5. Add 1 cup flour and the remaining half of the yeast mixture. Continue to mix and stir.
6. Add the last 1 cup flour and stir till the mixture begins to hold itself.
7. Remove the dough on a smooth work surface, knead it till its smooth, elastic, soft and slightly sticky. If the dough becomes too sticky, then add some flour and knead. If the dough looks dry and crumbly, then add a few tablespoons of water and knead again.
8. Lightly coat the dough with olive oil or water and transfer it in a greased deep bowl. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel or lid.
9. Allow the dough to rise for 2 hours. When the dough is doubled, remove from the bowl.
10. Flatten the dough on your work surface. Divide into two equal parts for making two large focaccias.
11. Grease the pan with olive oil. Flatten one part of the dough lightly and place on the pan.
12. Now, pour 1/2 of the herb oil on the dough (The remaining 1/2 of the oil you will use for the second focaccia loaf)
13. With your fingers, indent or dimple the flour. Cover with a lid or kitchen towel and allow it to rise again for 30-40 minutes.
14. Preheat the oven to at least 20 minutes before you bake the focaccia. Preheat to 200 degrees C.
15. Sprinkle some salt on the bread. Now, bake the bread in the hot oven for 20-30 minutes or till the surface has become golden.
16. Remove from the pan and allow the bread to cool.
17. Slice the basil focaccia when warm and serve.
1. In a bowl add yeast followed by castor sugar and 2 tablespoons warm water, mix well and set aside to activate.
2. Sift flour in another bowl. Then add garlic, fresh herbs of your choice, activated yeast and mix well.
3. Add some water and knead. Add butter and knead again till the dough becomes soft. Cover with a damp cloth and set aside for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat oven to 180°C.
5. Now, add oil, knead again, shape into a loaf and transfer on a baking tray. Cover with a damp muslin cloth and again set aside for 20 minutes.
6. Brush some milk and dried herbs on top of the bread. Put the tray in the preheated oven and bake for 15-20 minutes.
7. Once baked, brush some butter on top and serve warm.
1. In a small bowl, add the milk and water and microwave for about 45 seconds or until warm. Meanwhile, line two bread pans/ oven trays with parchment paper and sprinkle with some cornmeal, set aside.
2. In a large bowl, add the flour, sugar, salt, yeast, baking soda, oil and milk mixture, mix and knead just for a couple of minutes or until the dough has absorbed (the dough should be sticky and lumpy), dump the dough on a lightly floured surface, divide it into 2 equal pieces and place each one in the prepared pan.
3. Cover the dough with a cloth, allow it to rise somewhere warm for about an hour and a half or until about doubled in size.
4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, bake the bread for about 30 to 40 minutes or until golden brown, remove from the pans, and allow it to cool completely.
5. When ready, slice and toast in a skillet and serve with a dollop of butter or enjoy with a generous smear of mixed fruit jam.
Bake these flavourful bread at home and stay safe!
Q1. How to preheat a Microwave for baking?
A. You need to place a slatted rack that comes with it inside and then choose the convection option To pre-heat your microwave. Once you set it on the convection mode, your microwave’s digital display will reflect the minimum temperature setting available, you can just increase/decrease it according to your requirement and press start.
Q2. Can an alternative ingredient be used in place of yeast?
A. You can replace yeast with 1/2 part baking soda and 1/2 part lemon juice to equal the full amount of yeast. 1 tablespoon yeast = 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda and 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice. But this will make the texture of your bread a little different than usual. Also, you won't need a rising time.
Q3. How to store homemade Bread?
A. You can store homemade bread in a plastic bag or a bread box for maximum freshness. If you don't think you can finish it in a few days' time, you can just wrap it up in plastic and keep it in your freezer.
Gargi Bisht is an event copywriter/conceptualizer turned writer currently working with EazyDiner Pvt. Ltd. Compulsive eater, book hoarder, dog lover and pop culture enthusiast with an innate love for storytelling. Usually the quietest person in the room, Gargi is an introvert who loves her own company. When not eating, can be found in front of her laptop watching movies. Knows a thing or two about art and literature.
Earn 500 EazyPoints on registration.
We will send you a link, open it on your phone to download the app