There was a time when vegetarians were severely restricted by their restaurant choices. A meal out would almost always mean an Indian restaurant or then something that served token vegetarian food like a couple of Tex-Mex dishes and some stodgy pasta.
Today there is a revolution with more and more restaurants embracing their vegetarian menus with enthusiasm. Despite having more inclusive options, for folks that specifically wish to eat at all vegetarian restaurants, we've picked some of our favourites.
1. Botanica Cafe & Diner - This new kid on the restaurant block has already begun to impress folks with their meatless eggless menu. The cafe is cosy and boasts of a menu that includes their trademark Sushi Burgers, some incredible jackfruit boas, the most indulgent pizzas with a superb thin crust ( pick the caramelised onion, spinach and ricotta pizza ) as well as some Indian inspired dishes. The cafe has tried to mix cuisines and bring ample choice ensuring all the while that you don't miss the meat. There is no alcohol here making it an ideal spot for a family meal but some very interesting mocktails and choice of tea and coffee.
2. Tasse De The - The minute you walk inside you feel like you've come to an elegant tea shop but after you're done admiring their collection, walk further inside to this pretty little cafe that offers a range of vegetarian treats including special Jain items and even a couple of Gluten Free and Keto ones keeping with the latest food trend. The menu is a mix of popular dishes like chilli cheese toast, hummus and pita bread, jacket potatoes, jalapeno poppers as well as larger meals like a cottage cheese steak or a risotto. Best teamed up with one of their many teas that they stock this is a great choice for a vegetarian meal.
3. Burma Burma - When this Burmese inspired restaurant launched it created a frenzy and the fact that it still attracts hoards of people is a testament to how good the food is. Not many realised that for a cuisine that depends so heavily on fish sauce and a fair amount of meat, this strictly vegetarian restaurant has managed to make it an attractive option for vegetarian diners. The samosa soup, is one of their popular dishes and make sure you have a reservation because no matter when you decide to go there's always a crowd.
4. Vedge - The best restaurants are those that satisfy all sorts of food cravings. It makes a world of a difference when you are spoilt for choice and don't have to keep checking with your server to make sure that the food you've chosen or want to choose is vegetarian. They've got their main menu, kitty party offers, executive lunch menus and plenty more to suit any occasion or event. From sizzlers, sharing platters, pan Asian and Indian dishes, there's something for everyone and all well priced. It makes for another great spot to visit with the family.
5. Candy & Green - There aren't many places that boast of a vertical garden and a terrace to enjoy your meal at. Candy and Green is possibly one of the best green restaurants in the city and by that, we mean the menu is creative and beautiful without any meat at all. Some dishes are also specifically vegan ( no dairy ) or can be made on request. The philosophy of the restaurant is quite simple, they want to put forward dishes made with healthy wholesome ingredients that aren't just good for you but taste incredible and so far they've been more than successful.
Better known as the Tiny Taster, Roxanne is an internationally respected blogger and expert on the Mumbai food scene. She has hosted many events, including the Upper Crust Food & Wine Show and travels the world, sharing her knowledge and gaining more experience.
Earn 500 EazyPoints on registration.
We will send you a link, open it on your phone to download the app